I believe that everyone has at least one thing that they fear that makes no sense or is just plain silly. Here are a few of mine, in no particular order….
1. While sitting or standing somewhere dark, someone will sneak up behind me and cut my achilles tendon. Ever seen House of Wax? (the newer one with Jared Padalecki) I am afraid of sharing his fate. This fear is worst while in movie theaters and wearing sandals.
2. Spiders. This is a common one, I know, because what’s to like about a spider? Too many legs, too much hair, and just something downright sinister about the entire arachnid race. Sure, I know they serve a purpose, but I’d rather it be served far away from me. But my biggest fear isn’t encountering one, it’s the fear that one will drop out of the sky and land on me. Some days, I scan the shower before getting in to make sure one isn’t perched on the shower head.
3. Getting rear ended. A few years back, I was rear ended by a guy on a motorcycle whose brakes went out. About a year after that, I was rear ended by a guy who was too busy texting to notice me. Since then, I am constantly glancing in my rear view mirror, afraid that the guy/girl behind me is going to kiss my bumper.
4. I will be driving along and out of nowhere, my tire will fall off. Sometimes I’ll hit a nasty bump and be sure that I’ll see one of my car tires sail by. I also worry about popping a tire, but not as often. For some reason, my mind thinks it’s more likely that a tire will fall off than go flat.
5. Baldness. Not being 80 and getting that old lady bald spot, but combing my hair and seeing it come out in clumps and looking up and realizing that all my hair is gone.
6. Public restrooms. I don’t care how clean it looks, all I see are germs and waste. I’m afraid I will touch something and get some weird public restroom disease. I even have recurring nightmares of having to use a public restroom and either being surrounded by filth or tripping/falling and touching a surface that I would never want to lay a fingertip on.
7. Becoming my mother. No reason for me to think I would; her and I have never been alike in any way other than hair color. I fear that there is something in my DNA that will one day turn me into a crazy manipulative bitch.
8. Being stabbed. How many people actually get stabbed in life? I would imagine the number is small and my chances of having it happen to me are minimal. It still bothers me though. I cut my finger with a steak knife and whined like a baby. I can’t imagine getting it worse.
9. Foreign hairs. Nothing makes me more uneasy than finding a random hair on any surface that doesn’t belong to me. This is worst when I am in a hotel room; I’m afraid that some stranger’s hair will be stuck in the bedsheets and I will wake up the next morning with it stuck to me. Ick.
10. Being paralyzed but 100% aware of my surroundings. What if I’m incapacitated and the entire world thinks I’m a vegetable, but my mind is still active and aware. This probably stems from watching too many episodes of House.